Tuesday 17 January 2012

A Victorian Cottage In the Woods

I'm sure many of you have read of Sandra Foster's famous cottage renovation. Her's is without a doubt, my favorite DIY project.  
The best  part about Foster’s story is that she’s not a professional designer (she’s a fiscal administrator), she’s not rich (Foster’s other house a trailer). And Using vintage columns, flooring and wavy glass windows,she turned a Catskills hunting cabin into the romantic Victorian cottage she had always wanted. Her amazing little cottage makes me feel like I can do just about anything I set my mind to!
Lets take a little tour of this gingerbread house set deep in the woods.....


You have to cross a rippling stream in Catskills forest NY to reach this whimsical little one room dollhouse.


This Beautiful little escape didn't always look this charming...


She took a 9-by-14-foot cottage (an old hunting cabin) that happened to be on her property and renovated it herself for only $3,000 – Furniture and accessories included Wow!
BEFORE
AFTER
 The cottage fulfills a dream for Ms. Foster, whose middle-class family lost their home when she was a teenager on Long Island.
The shabby-chic retreat doesn't  have a bathroom or a kitchen, but it is a dream of Victoriana: stacks of Limoges china with tiny rosebud patterns; chandeliers dripping crystal; billows of tissue-paper garlands. Many of the furnishings, like the $15 chandelier hanging over the sitting area, were flea market finds.
The loft bedroom is reached via a ladder...
The lace fabric used throughout was $2 a meter at Wal Mart

For the china closet below, Ms. Foster built the shelves, then added arched French doors that she found at a yard sale for $15 each.  


The beautiful wooden mirror was a garage sale find at $22






 All dressed up for Christmas...


Dreams are which the mind conceives, the heart desires, and the soul believes..


Image courtesy: Google images, some of the extracts from NYtimes

If you love shabby chic, then drop by Sandra Fosters blog MY SHABBY STREAMSIDESTUDIO and get inspired by her style and ideas.



24 comments:

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

ohh,,thats cool..feels like imagination,,hmm..nice clicks!

Cheeky Chic said...

Oh,it really does sound coming straight out of a fairly tale.. beautifully captured pictures.Even unbalance of thing creates harmony.. beautiful is the only word..totally wow-ing
thanks a bundle for sharing...I sure would love to dream about it tonight.:P

Ruqaiya Khan said...

WOW! What a beautiful story <3

Anonymous said...

Wow this photos look amazing!! :) Thanks for the visit, I follow u, follow me back? http://fashiongland.blogspot.com

Raaga said...

I literally fainted at the awsum pics :O Boy o boy It is so dreamy and pulchritude ;) Its a treat on ur blog :)

Am already following u from the Paris post :D

Anonymous said...

oh I hope i've got this too on my room! so envy...the decoration is perfect!

Pandora`s Box said...

@creative mind:It does feel like a dream :)

@cheeky chic: Thanks for dropping by,yes right out of a storybook.

@Ruqaiya Khan: Thanks hon, it sure is inspiring.

@Fashiongland: Sure thing.

@Raaga: dreamy is right! I can't believe the amount of hard work she put in this project. That too on a very small budget.

@Saphira Thenalia: You sure can incorporate these ideas to suit your own room and lifestyle:)

Unknown said...

It seems a fairy tale! Beautiful story :)
I'M FOLLOWING YOU NOW

xoxo
Happiness Everywhere♥

Anonymous said...

amazingly beautiful cottage

Kiran said...

oh my gosh....so incredibly beautiful...just like the most magical, wonderful, romantic little place. please knight in shining armour.,..take me there now on your shiny black horse!!

Bunnie said...

Wowowow. This is beautiful, I'm seriously going to save a picture or two for when I decorate my new apt.


xo

http://www.DolledUpDaily.com

Haylee

shahtaj said...

That is just......WOW! :)

The Brunette Head said...

Wow right out of a fairy tale! Pretty cute:) please activate the mobile version:$

Sharon said...

Great post,beautiful cottage x

Anonymous said...

This is my dream room, omg amazing. So dreamy. I love your blog and your style, so cute. Thanks for stopping by my blog, I'm definitely following yours now. Let's keep in touch!

violetheart xxoo

http://violetheartsmanyshadesofpurple.blogspot.com

JÉSSICA said...

OMG! What a magic little house!

Your blog is great! Love this post!!

Hugs from Brazil! =)

Shang J. said...

Ooh I am so mesmerized. ;)

Unknown said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog!
Love all the topics you cover on here - the photos above are like an exaggerated version of my room! Want to be followers??
I have a new January sales post up as well and a giveaway to come later!

www.freshlookbeautyblog.com

Unknown said...

gorgeous :)

Aunie said...

This is BEAUTIFUL!!

JanandJill.com said...

OMG, thank you for sharing this, I loved looking through all of these photos because the cottage is so cute and looks so relaxing and romantic.

xoDale
http://www.savvyspice.net/

Bottled Beauty said...

These pictures are amazing. I would love to decorate all in white, but with a baby it would get very messy :(

http://beautyinabottleat.blogspot.com/

sadee said...

wow amazing post looks so lovely

Julie H said...

Ahhh so dreamy and beautiful! Love it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...